Teaching and Learning Lab:
Inclusive Teaching Practices
- Inclusive Teaching Resources and Strategies. This page features a range of online resources that define inclusive teaching and provide specific strategies for practicing it.
- An Approach for Teaching Diversity.
- How to Help First Generation Students Succeed.
- White Privilege and Male Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack, Peggy McIntosh.
- Think Before you Speak: Using Inclusive Language. A presentation on the use of inclusive language in everyday life and its benefits towards community cohesion.
- Culturally Diverse Learners. While this resource is designed for the general classroom, there are suggested practices that can be adapted to the studio classroom.
- Teaching International Students: Pedagogical Issues and Strategies.
- Cross Cultural Group Work. Research on teamwork in professional contexts illuminates the issues that arise for students as well.
- Creating Inclusive College Classrooms. Inclusive classrooms are classrooms in which instructors and students work together to create and sustain an environment in which everyone feels safe, supported, and encouraged to express her or his views and concerns.
- ‘Ask Me’: What LGBTQ Students Want Their Professors to Know. Transgender and gender-nonbinary students share what keeps them from feeling safe and thriving on campus.
- LGBTQ+ Glossary.
- “The Room of Silence“, presented by BAAD (Black Artists and Designers), filmed and edited by Eloise Sherrid a short film documenting a small fraction of interviews and testimonials conducted by marginalized students at RISD.
- The Harriet W. Sheridan Center for Teaching and Learning. Sign up to receive bi-weekly emails announcing news and upcoming events at the Sheridan Center.
Responding to Difficult Moments
- Making the Most of “Hot Moments in the Classroom“.
- Civility in the Classroom: A Better Approach.
- SoundIdea: “Difficult Topics” podcast and transcript
- Additional suggested reading:
- Available through Fleet Library: ASHE Higher Education Report (2012) Special Issue: Engaging Diversity in Undergraduate Classrooms: A Pedagogy for Developing Intercultural Competence. Volume 38, Issue 2.
- Self-Assessment of Equitable Teaching Strategies.
- Literature Review: Mapping Identities. A resource developed by RISD students Naomi Bradford, FAV ’19; Jane Long, MFA ’15.